Samsung has announced its flagship Galaxy S21 5G and Galaxy S21+ 5G smartphones at its Galaxy Unpacked online event, as it had promised. These pack a 6.2/6.7-inch FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O flat Displays with 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, a downgrade compared to QHD+ display in the predecessor. These are powered by Snapdragon 888 / Exynos 2100 5nm 5G SoCs with depending on the market. These phones feature in-display Ultrasonic Fingerprint Scanner, run Android 11 with OneUI 3.1 and come with Samsung services like Bixby, Samsung Health and Samsung Pay.
The phone feature triple rear cameras with an all-new, iconic Contour Cut Camera housing that seamlessly blends into the device’s metal frame, feature primary 12-megapixel Dual Pixel primary sensor with OIS, 12-megapixel Ultra Wide Lens with a 120-degree field of view and a 64-megapixel Telephoto lens with OIS. The S20+ has an additional depth sensor. These also have 10-megapixel Dual Pixel front-facing camera. These also support 8K video shooting.
The S21+ has Ultra-wideband capabilities (UWB) embedded to automatically unlock compatible car doors without pulling out your keys. You can also use AR finder to drop virtual messages that let other Galaxy smartphone users know you need help searching for a lost item. The S21 comes with a plastic back while the S21+ comes with a Glass Back with Gorilla Glass Victus protection.
The phones have IP68 water and dust resistance, and pack 4000mAh and 4,800mAh batteries, respectively with support for wired 25W fast charging and 15W Fast Wireless Charging as well as new Wireless PowerShare feature to charge Qi compatible devices on the back of the phones. The phones come in a new sleeker box without a wall charger or wired earbuds.
Samsung Galaxy S21 5G and Galaxy S21+ 5G specifications
- S21 — 6.2-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED Display, 421 PPI, Adaptive 120Hz refresh rate (48 – 120Hz), up to 1300 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- S21+ — 6.7-inch FHD+ (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ Infinity-O Dynamic AMOLED Display, 394 PPI, Adaptive 120Hz refresh rate (48 – 120Hz), up to 1300 nits brightness, Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 2100 processor
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB/256GB storage
- Android 11 with One UI 3.1
- Single / Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 12MP Ultra Wide sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 64MP Telephoto lens with f/2.0 aperture, 3x hybrid zoom, 30X space zoom, OIS, 4K 60 fps, 8K 30fps
- 10MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water resistant (IP68)
- S21 Dimensions: 151.7 x 71.2 x 7.9mm; Weight: 171g (mmWave), 169g (sub6)
- S21+ Dimensions: 161.4 x 75.6 x 7.8mm; Weight: 202g(mmWave), 200g(sub6)
- 5G SA/NSA, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, UWB (S21+), GPS + GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 4000mAh (S21) / 4800mAh (S21+) battery with 25W fast charging, 15W Qi wireless charging
The Samsung Galaxy S21 5G comes in Phantom White, Phantom Grey, Phantom Pink and Phantom Violet colours, and the Galaxy S21+ 5G comes in Phantom Violet, Phantom Silver and Phantom Black colours.
Pricing and availability
- Samsung Galaxy S21 5G 8GB + 128GB – $799.99 (Rs. 58,474 approx.) / €849 / £769
- Samsung Galaxy S21 5G 8GB + 256GB – $849.99 (Rs. 62,130 approx.) / €899 / £819
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G 8GB + 128GB – $999.99 (Rs. 73,090 approx.) / €1049 / £949
- Samsung Galaxy S21+ 5G 8GB + 256GB – $1049.99 (Rs. 76,730 approx.) / €1099 / £999
These will go on pre-order starting today, January 14th and will be available from January 29th in several countries. Price in India starts at Rs. 69,999 and Rs. 81,999 for the S21 and S21+, respectively. You can check out more details and launch offers for India here.