Summer weather with extreme heat and tropical storms increases power outages significantly. During this time, the electrical appliances work harder to produce the desired outcomes, and extreme heat of summer can damage appliances. Check out the tips to protect home appliances from summers.
Reasons behind Heat affecting Appliances
The most vulnerable home appliances are freezers and fridges, which can be damaged if located in the humid corners of the house. The hot and humid corners force these appliances to run hotter, and the appliances face difficulty in maintaining optimal temperatures.
Even the thermostat of the air conditioners needs reasonable temperature to exert the cooling effect when started. The electronics and appliances should be covered with appliance insurance to avoid incurring losses.
Tips to Protect Home Appliances from Summers
Many of the internal parts of the appliances wear out faster in humid weather conditions. Heat is responsible for putting a strain on the home appliances, whereas wet conditions can affect all sorts of electricals and appliances.
Therefore, there is a need for total home protection from excess heat and humidity. Here are some tips to protect home appliances from the harsh summer conditions:
Air Conditioning Systems
The air conditioners are most used in summers. However, the thermostat of the air conditioners is more prone to damage even if not taken care of properly. Users should keep in mind to limit excessive usage of air conditioners during summers to prolong its life.
- The regulators are mostly damaged by excessive heat. If the appliance has a programmable indoor regulator, users should read the instruction manual for correctly regulating the settings. The temperature setting should be programmed according to the dimensions of the house.
- The regulator should be kept at an optimal temperature so that when the air conditioner is started, it takes less time to cool. This saves a ton of electricity and helps to save the appliance from total burnout conditions.
- The air conditioners not only cool the room but also sucks out excess moisture from the place. When the air conditioner is working under excess humid conditions, it has to work harder to eliminate the moisture and humidity, which also exerts humongous pressure on the appliance.
In these cases, a dehumidifier can be installed in the house. The dehumidifier reduces the amount of moisture content and helps the air conditioner to function properly with full efficiency.
- The air conditioners to function properly; it should be cleaned properly at regular intervals. It is important to maintain the filers and condenser cells to avoid summer heat to encroach the units.
The summer heat forces the coolant system of fridges and freezers to function more rapidly, and they face the threat of maintaining the temperature.
Users should place the refrigerator in a cool and dark place to prolong the life of the appliances. When the weather is scorching and humid, it is necessary to turn down the power saving mode of the refrigerator to help the appliance function at its full potential.
- The condenser of the fridges and freezers needs regular maintenance and cleaning. The instruction manual should be read to find out the place of the capacitor – it is located either behind the kickplate or nearby the backside of the refrigerator.
- The placement of fridges and freezers should not be made too close to the walls, as it prevents proper air circulation near the appliances. They should be kept at the coldest corners of the house. The condenser of the refrigerator needs adequate air circulation to decrease the heat build-up around the space.
- The refrigerator should be filled with required items considering the capacity. There should be adequate space between the items. Freezers and fridges should be kept clean and tidy, making sure all the sealers are closing properly. The refrigerator should be closed properly after using it to make it conserve its temperature regulation.
Home appliances are most hampered during the hot and humid weather conditions of summer. Therefore, it is necessary to keep them away from the humid condition. Additionally, if all the appliances are in total burnout condition, then they all should be unplugged till the flickering electric power is stabilized.