First of all, before we dive into the nitty and gritty of how one service is different from another, we need to comprehend the fact that online streaming services and cable TV services both are a source of entertainment and used for the same purpose. It depends on which one you choose and prefer to use based on their features and what they have to offer – the essentials of both services remain the same. Cable TV service like is going to charge their customers for the news channels, sports channels, movies, TV shows, and other exclusive features which include on-demand services, DVR, etc. besides. You can check Spectrum TV packages to know more about the add-ons and tempting deals. Let’s get to know What is the Difference Between Streaming Services and Cable TV?
And if we talk about online streaming services like Netflix, it charges its subscribers for their exclusive content which they can watch according to their pace and convenience. Moreover, you will need a very good internet connection with speeds of up to 20 to 30 Mbps. You need to have a smart TV or a normal LED TV, for which you will need Amazon fire stick or Google Chrome to stream streaming services. On Netflix, you can stream videos in HD and 4K anywhere, anytime – as long as you have a stable internet connection. Usually, people tend to have both services to avail of all the content available.
What’s the difference between Streaming Services and Cable TV?
Let’s get to some stats to comprehend the difference based on the preferences as shared in different polls by the public.
- According to a survey, around 23% of people have opted for a package that includes both Cable TV and satellite TV.
- Almost 34% said that they seldom watch free streaming services and 6% have never watched.
- 20% of them tend to have cable packages to get free streaming.
- Whereas 22% negate to get a package for free streaming.
- 50% of the participants who said they only watch cable TV are 60 years old or above.
- Almost 22% said they watch both streaming services as well as cable TV.
- Out of which, 31% were from the age group of 18-29 said that they do watch both – cable TV and streaming services.
- Whereas 16% said they watch satellite TV only.
- Interestingly, only 10% of the respondents said they watch their favorite content on online streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, iTunes, Hulu, etc.
- Age plays a major role as 28% of the18-19 years old bracket tend to watch streaming services.
If we compare streaming services Netflix is more expensive than other services in the market such as Amazon Prime, Disney Hotstar, Zee5, and Sony Live. Nowadays, amid quarantine, when most of the world of relying on essentials and cinemas, restaurants are not open, new movies are more likely to be released on streaming services before being shown on TV. In addition to it, the plus point is one can get access to the content at whatever time they want to watch where the videos can be paused, rewind, or forwarded. That means you do not have to wait for your favorite show to be telecasted or replayed again later to watch – you can watch it as many times as you want, repeat it, skip whenever you want.
Furthermore, one can watch as many available episodes as they want to in one go. And the best part is that these streaming services can be used on any device be it TV, laptop, tablets, or mobile which means you won’t have to be glued to the TV screen all the time and you do not get to see the ads. You can even use them while traveling. However, to avail all of these facilities, you need to have a streaming device or smart TV and a stable internet connection that does not irate you in the middle of a climax.
Having covered all the points it’s up to you what type of service you want to be dependent on the content you like to watch. Streaming services now have a huge collection to attract youth. Cable TV and other conventional options are trying to change. However, still, some content can be watched on TV, for instance, news, sports, etc.